Emergency School Closings
If it is doubtful that schools will be open because of weather conditions, tune in to any of the following radio stations or TV channels for information:
CABLE NEWS - CHANNEL 12
BROADCAST NEWS - CHANNEL 7
WBAB (102.3 FM)
K-JOY (98.3 FM)
WALK (97.5 FM)
When possible, a decision on closing will be made by 6:00 a.m.
Delayed Opening Procedure for Inclement Weather
Delayed openings delay the opening of school by two (2) hours. The delayed opening schedule is as follows:
- Grades 9-12: Report to their period 3 classes at 9:30 a.m. hey will remain in class until 9:45 a.m. and then proceed to period 4. From here, the day proceeds as normal.
- Magnet Classes: When there is a delayed opening, Magnet classes in all schools are cancelled. Students are to report directly to their home school by 9:30 a.m. for period 3.
- Field Trips: Field trips that are scheduled to go out on the morning of a delayed opening will be cancelled. At the discretion of the principal, trips whose departure time falls safely within the shortened school day may go out as scheduled. However, field trips will be cancelled if road or weather conditions continue to remain hazardous after the delayed opening.
- BOCES Classes: When there is a delayed opening, all AM BOCES Barry Tech and other Occupational Education programs are cancelled. All AM BOCES students should report to their home schools at their normal start times.
- School Lunch: Lunch will be available and served to all students at their regularly scheduled lunchtime.
- Dismissal Time: A delayed opening does not extend the school day and has no effect on dismissal time. Afterschool activities will as usual proceed unless cancellation is announced.
- Student Absence: Please follow the regular procedure and call your ATTENDANCE OFFICE if your child will not be attending school.
- Closing School: A delayed opening is subject to change if the weather or road conditions remain hazardous. The Superintendent retains the option to close schools if the potential for hazardous conditions continues.
Early Dismissal Procedure for Inclement Weather
Should inclement weather create a need to dismiss students early in order to assure that school buses will arrive on time at the elementary schools of the component districts, the procedure will be as follows:
- The Superintendent of Schools will declare the need for an early dismissal.
- The three (3) high schools will end their day at 1:30 p.m. (the end of 8th period).
- The two (2) middle schools will end their day at 2:15 p.m. (during 9th period).
- Students who anticipate being picked up by parents may wait for the regular dismissal time, or may call home to advise parents that school will end early on that day.
There will be no after-school or evening activities on any day when an early dismissal procedure is initiated.