Two students in the Central High School District have been selected to participate in the NYSSMA All-State Music Festival.
The following students will travel to Rochester on Nov. 30 to participate in four days of intense rehearsals and performances:
• Julia Cohen – Kennedy HS – Symphonic Orchestra, Violin
• Liam Osborne – Mepham HS – Instrumental Jazz Ensemble, Tenor Trombone
Additionally, the following students have been selected as this year’s alternates:
• Alec Ader – Kennedy HS – Trombone
• Lana Guber – Calhoun – Jazz Soprano Voice
• Hannah Islas – Calhoun – Jazz Soprano Voice
• Fiona Wong – Calhoun – Snare Drum
Their teachers are Walter Avellaneda, Anthony Brandofino, Emily Kenyon, Jeanette Pincus and Ed Tumminelli.
The All-State selection process begins during the previous school year. To be considered for All-State, students must first be recommended by their music director and perform a Level 6 audition piece at the spring NYSSMA festival receiving a score of 98 or higher.
The All-State bands, choruses, orchestras and jazz ensembles are honors groups comprised of the top students from school music departments across the state. The elite groups are directed by renowned guest conductors and perform in the world-famous Eastman Theatre in Rochester during the annual NYSSMA Winter Conference.