skip to main content

SEPTA Resources



OPWDD Family Support Services Grant Opportunities


ACCES Mental Health Services for Transitioning Students
Alternatives Drug/Alcohol Awareness Program
Children's Mental Health Symposium OPWDD
Recreation Resources
College Resources for Students with Disabilities TASC/GED 2016
Independent Living Center Transition from High School Resources
Job Corp



Adult Career and Continuing Education Services-Vocational Rehabilitation (ACCES-VR) offers access to a full range of employment and independent living services that may be needed by persons with disabilities through their lives. Through its administration of vocational rehabilitation and independent living programs, VR coordinates policy and services relating to:

  • transition services for students with disabilities from school to adult services;
  • vocational rehabilitation services for working age individuals with disabilities;
  • independent living services for people with disabilities of all ages; and
  • business services for hiring a qualified diverse workforce.

Back to the Top



Children's Mental Health Symposium


Back to the Top

College Resources for Students with Disabilities


This year for National Children’s Mental Health Awareness Day, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) focuses on transitions of teens graduating from high school.

This is a time of excitement and adventure for many young people, but also a time filled with uncertainty. In addition, the end of high school means transitions to college, into jobs, into the military, or out of the foster care system. All of these situations bring up things to think about regarding general well-being, health concerns and diagnoses, and medications. Your child’s pediatrician can be a wonderful source of advice on helping your teen to transition successfully. The AAP offers the following tips for parents and youth navigating this important time of life. Advice for Parents/Guardians of Teens and Young Adults

Is your child headed to college? Know what to do to support your teen emotionally as he ventures out into the world and away from home base.

Make sure that your teen has medical coverage after high school and teach your teen how to access and use it. Many teens and young adults are covered under their parents’ health insurance through age 25.

If your teen is going to college, check into the health and mental health support services on campus, and make sure he is familiar with them.

In addition to making sure that the graduating patient has all of the vaccines and other preventive health care recommended for this stage of life, pediatricians also can help families to ensure they are preparing the way for their young adult’s continuing mental and emotional health.

If your teen has mental health needs, develop a plan of care in advance of your teen moving away from home. For college, this can take several weeks or months to develop. Does your child have a mental health diagnosis, such as ADHD, depression, eating disorder, etc? Be sure to ask the health center staff what kind of medical information they will need related to your teen, and how to set up prescription refills if needed.

With your teen, communicate with college or university staff about their accommodations for teens with ADHD and other diagnoses. In addition, consider contacting the college’s Disabilities Office, Academic Advising Office, or Student Affairs Office to determine what accommodations are available for ADHD and other diagnoses.

Once your teen is settled into the college routine, keep in close contact and try to get frequent readings about how he is doing academically and socially. This is especially important during the first month or so while teens are still trying to settle in and may not have made friends yet.

Do you have a child in foster care who is “graduating” out of the system? Depending on state laws, children in foster care are covered under Medicaid until age 18 or 21 and may need to transition to a different provider. Some may need to transition even earlier to an adult or Transitional Aged Youth mental health provider. Young adults transitioning out of the foster care system need help in identifying caring adults-- related or not-- from whom they can seek advice, support, and reassurance.

Is your teen going straight to work rather than college? Even though she may be remaining at home for a time, her life will change dramatically from when she was in the structured environment of high school, having daily contact with friends. Be sure to give her extra space as a young adult, but realize that she may need help navigating adult responsibilities like bill paying, taking on her own health care, etc. She may be missing her high school life and friends who have moved on. Encourage her to keep up her friendships and to form new ones through work or other interesting activities.

Alcohol, drugs and sexual activity may become more accessible at this time. Be clear about your expectations regarding drug and alcohol use are even though your child may not be living at home. Be sure your teen knows where to go—whether on campus or locally-- for reproductive health care. Continue to have conversations about peer pressure, good decisions, and consequences.

Once your teen turns 18, you’ll no longer have legal access to his academic or health records. After he moves on from high school to college or work, have frequent, one-on-one conversations with your teen as a means of staying in touch.

It’s normal for young people starting at college or moving to a new place to have days when they feel sad, homesick, or a bit lost. If these feelings persist or interfere with their ability to work, they should seek help and know that it is normal to do so. Watch for warning signs and be prepared to act.

Advice for the Young Adult Graduating from high school is such an exciting time. For some, this may mean transitioning to a full time job. For others, it may mean heading off to college. Whatever this next stage in life brings, it’s important to be in charge of your own health. Here are some tips for you to consider.

Participate in activities to promote your overall health. Eating right, getting enough sleep (at least 7 hours), and being active will keep you feeling energized and can reduce stress.

Talk with your pediatrician about when to start seeing an adult doctor. Many young adults see their pediatricians until they turn 21. Your pediatrician can provide you with guidance about choosing an adult health provider.

If you have a health care problem, know the facts. When going to a new doctor or clinic, you will need to provide information about your diagnosis and how you treat it.

If you are taking medication to treat a health care problem, know the name of the medication, how is it taken, side effects, and if you cannot have certain foods or drinks while taking the medication. Also know how and where you will go to refill prescriptions.

If you will no longer be living at home, know where you will go if you are having a health problem. What hospitals or clinics are close by? Is there a student health center? Talk with your parents about how your family’s health insurance works, and be sure you have a card from the health plan.

Tips for the College Student
Be sure you are familiar with the local or campus health center and counseling center (hours of operation, services offered, fees, location) and what to do if the Center is closed (nights and weekends). Make sure you have your insurance card and know how to use it (For example, some insurance companies may only allow certain labs or may require pre-authorization for referrals.)

If you have a chronic health condition, make sure roommates or someone close to you know about your health condition, signs of problems, and what to do in an emergency situation. Consider having your treating physician send a report with your current status and treatment report to the Health Center. If your problem is particularly complex or challenging, consider talking with or meeting with a health center staff member before the academic year starts.

Studies have shown that the majority of students on campus don’t use drugs and either don’t drink or do so in so moderation. So you don’t need to do either one to fit in. Drinking excessively can open you up to significant health risks (accidents, fights, date rape/sexual assault).

Find out what resources are available to support you. Often there are support groups and student services available to help address the transition to work or college. And don’t forget about your family…they want to hear how you are doing!

It’s normal for someone starting at college or moving to a new place to have days when they feel sad, homesick, or a bit lost. If these feelings last for more than a week or so or are interfering with your ability to work or enjoy your college experience, seek help. The health center or counseling center is the best place to start.

Warning Signs for Depression or Mental Health Concerns (AAP)

  • Changes in sleep patterns
  • Unexpected weeping or excessive moodiness
  • Eating habits that result in noticeable weight loss or gain
  • Expressions of hopelessness or worthlessness
  • Paranoia and excessive secrecy
  • Self-mutilation, or mention of hurting himself or herself
  • Obsessive body-image concerns
  • Excessive isolation
  • Abandonment of friends, social groups, and favorite pastimes
  • Unexpected and dramatic decline in academic performance
  • Drinking excessively or using other drugs to feel better or help with sleep

Back to the Top


Independent Living Center

The Long Island Center for Independent Living, Inc. (LICIL) is a not-for-profit, non-residential advocacy center controlled by and serving persons with disabilities. Since its opening in 1980,  LICIL has worked with thousands of Long Islanders with disabilities and their families and has also been a unique resource for other professionals who provide disability related services. Our Center’s mission is to promote empowerment through education, information and rallying behind issues that directly impact the daily lives of persons with disabilities. LICIL effectively serves people of all ages and across all disability experiences, whether lifelong or acquired. Back to the Top


Mental Health Services for Transitioning Students

Back to the Top



Back to the Top



OPWDD provided supports and services, which include Medicaid funded long-term care services such as rehabilitation and clinical services, as well as residential supports and services, are primarily provided in community settings across the state. Largely because of intensive treatment needs, about 1,200 people (down from approximately 30,000 in the 1970s) continue to reside in institutional settings such as developmental centers, secure facilities, and residential schools for children jointly operated by OPWDD and the New York State Education Department.

In addition to these Medicaid services, OPWDD also provides New York State-funded family support services, which are designed to assist families in providing care for their loved ones who live full-time in their family home, and employment supports, which include ongoing job coaching, job matching, and vocational training

Back to the Top


Recreation Resources

Back to the Top


Transition from High School Resources


College and Trade School Night Resource Guide 2018-2019

College Programs For Students 2019-2020

Vocational Programs and Schools

OPWDD Website Resource and Forms

Grant list 2012

Transition Basics from TransCen
TransCen, Inc. has developed a series of online self-paced modules that provide an overview and orientation to main concepts, geared to help you understand the basics of transition services. These are free and open to the public. These modules are aligned with competencies endorsed by prominent national initiatives.

Autism Modules
These modules on a variety of topics were developed by the Ohio Center for Autism and Low Incidence in partnership with others provide information on the assessment and identification of ASDs recognizing and understanding behaviors an characteristics, transition to adulthood, employment and numerous evidence-based practices and interventions

How Career Pathway Bridges Help Basic Skills Students earn Credentials that Matter
Students forced to complete a long sequence of remedial or English language classes before they can begin their postsecondary program rarely earn college certificates or degrees. "Farther, Faster: Six Promising Programs Show How Career Pathway Bridges help Basic Skills Students Earn Credentials That Matter": this 2011 brief from the Center for Law and Social Policy highlights six promising programs that show how career pathway bridges help lower-skilled students move farther and faster along college and career paths through dual enrollment in linked basic skills and occupational certificate courses.

My Future My Way
This U.S. Department of Education publication for middle and junior high school students helps youth learn about the range of postsecondary school options, the benefits of higher education, how to pay for college, and how to start preparing for college and career in middle school. Personalized activities help youth think about how college can help them achieve their individual career goals.

Working in Transition and Employment Planning
These VR Research briefs are designed to summarize current research findings in a topic area of expressed interest by the TA Network membership. The briefs provide analysis of the implications of the research findings for VR service providers, partners and systems and are prepared by experts in the field in coordination with the NTAC.

Department of Education Answers Questions on Secondary Transition
The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) has issued a new "Questions and Answers Document on Secondary Transition" which includes updated guidance on identifying postsecondary goals in training, education, employment, and, where appropriate, independent living.  

Internship Guide for Youth with Disabilities
The National Consortium on Leadership and Disability for Youth has published a new guide for youth with disabilities interested in pursuing an internship.  The guide called On-Ramp to Employment, A Guide for Students with Disabilities to Getting and Making the Most of an Internship leads young people through the step-by-step process of finding, applying for, participating in an internship. The guide includes information focused on career exploration, interview and resume building, goal setting, networking, and more. In addition, the guide includes tips including about finding accessible housing, navigating the transportation system, disclosing a disability, and employing a personal care attendant.  

America's Literacy Directory
America's Literacy Directory, an online data directory to help learners find local literacy programs that provide help with reading, writing and math skills, GED preparation and testing, English as a second language programs, and citizenship or civics education.

Handbook on Disclosing Disabilities

New York Times Article focused on Transitioning

New York Times Article focused on Work for Students with

Back to the Top


Our Schools